Monday, January 25, 2010

The Black Dogs

Strange thing happened to me recently.  I'd been feeling pretty bloody depressed.  It had been making me angry, resentful and incredibly bitter about a long term relationship that had ended some months previously.  For months I had felt extremely hard done by, and violently angry.

And then one day, I came home, put out the rubbish, walked in the door and decided to go evacuate my bowels, ie take a poo.  I closed the lid, flushed and gazed out the window for a few minutes.  I washed my hands and left the bathroom still feeling like unleashing hell upon the world.  I went and sat at my desk, looked at the computer and felt the sun on my shoulder and across my face.  After several minutes I became aware that for the most time in many months I felt completely peaceful.

It was as if a big scary menacing black dog had been living in my house for nine months, walking around behind me.  And then all of sudden, I go to the toilet, have a poo, I come out and he’s disappeared.  Gone without a trace.  Incredible.  Anger, embitterment, resent . . . after almost a whole year of solid intense hatred, it had vanished just like that.  I don’t know how it happened, but I’m not sticking around to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment