Thursday, June 14, 2012

Something Exciting, Something Incredible.


There are things I notice and I’m not sure why.  Two months I took a plane trip to Wellington and I was very excited.  I hadn’t been on a plane for close to ten years and this flight would only last 45 minutes.  I felt like an astronaut.  I imagined I was doing something nobody had ever done before, that nobody could ever do.  I was going to be in the air, in that sky above me.  I would be doing something absolutely un-human – flying in the face of gravity.  There were others on the plane but I didn’t care.  The pilot, the girl who gave the instructions, the other passengers . . . irrelevant.

But they weren’t irrelevant.  I was trying hard to contain my excitement.  I wanted to communicate to my fellow passengers that I was seasoned, I was a veteran, I had done things and I wasn’t phased.  A woman appeared at the departure gate and I strode toward her with my boarding pass.  She asked me to go back and wait until the gate was open and the control desk was being attended.  I tried to make sure that nobody had seen me and the my cover had not been blown.  I took a seat in the waiting area and tried to look cool and relaxed.

It seemed like an age before I was finally sitting in the plane looking out across the wing.  I couldn’t stop smiling and was fighting the urge to look around the aircraft, to touch things and try things out.  I took the coffee, and the biscuits and the cup of water and the lolly to suck on and I read all the magazines and the in-flight instructions.  Why?  Because it was there.  And then the plane landed.  And I stepped out of the plane and walked across the tarmac like somebody important who’d just done something incredible.  And I had.  I’d sailed in a tin can at 40,000 feet and made it from Hamilton to Wellington in 45 minutes.  Anybody in a plane should always have something to write home about.

No comments:

Post a Comment